My first book ever—a children’s book—is here!
At the beginning of the Covid-19 pandemic, the founder of the nonprofit Shield Task Force asked a favor. “Will you please write a children’s book, that in a non-threatening way, shows kids what “grooming” is?
“Grooming” is the process by which a sexual predator gains the trust of a potential victim and sometimes their family.
Since I’m a survivor of childhood sexual abuse and a body safety educator in West Virginia, this assignment was right up my alley! And thankfully, my #1 pick for illustrator—the talented West Virginia artist, Jessie Haring—said yes to joining me on the project.
The Brave Knight, in fairy-tale fashion, demonstrates the behavior and language that sexual predators use. And, in the back of the book there are a number of resources to empower your child to stay safe.
- discussion questions
- extension activities
- phone numbers to call if they feel something (or someone) in their life is not quite right
- directions for creating a personal safety plan
For your convenience, we are currently formatting The Brave Knight for Amazon.
Right now, though, you can order directly from us via PayPal:
- Go to PayPal.com.
- Click on the send icon.
- In the “Send money” field, type: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Click “next.”
- Enter $15 (Each book is $12 + $3 for postage.).
- Where it says “Add a note,” type your mailing address.
- The page will mention Heard Communications. No worries! That’s my new publishing company.
All mailed copies are signed by the author and the illustrator and include a sheet of best practices for reading The Brave Knight with younger children.
I’m thrilled to also announce that The Brave Knight has been chosen by the nonprofit Libera to include in the LovePacks—colorful sling bags filled with mental and emotional resources—they are distributing to the 7,000 foster kids of West Virginia!